Why I Want to be a Social Worker
My interest in social work stems from a love of volunteering that I possessed ever since I was a young child expressing great enthusiasm for church and school service events. As I grew older, I began volunteering for many other community events, such as serving over 200 hours at a local hospital, helping with free cancer screenings, and fitting children with free bike helmets. I even created my own donation drive for a local women’s and children’s shelter. I feel the best when I am striving to create positive changes in my community and for struggling, marginalized individuals. Social services have been a part of my life for a very long time, and I want it to continue to be on a professional level. My interest persisted and grew as I began to see how my efforts had the ability to improve the lives of people around me. I first noticed this on a personal level as friends would come to me for advice or for me to listen to their struggles and provide comfort. No matter how mundane, horrific, unique, or common the story was, I listened to them in a genuine and non-judgmental manner. I truly enjoyed hearing people’s stories and providing comfort and advice when needed. These moments helped me realize the power of simply being there for someone, and it increased my interest of pursuing a career where I can support those who need it most. I want to become a social worker so I can provide direction to those who may not be able to get it from other sources, just like I have done for various people throughout my life. Another reason I am interested in social work because it allows me to be an advocate. This is something that I took seriously on a personal level in high school. Growing up in rural Southeastern Idaho, many LGBT members of m... ... middle of paper ... ...in particular struggled greatly with his drinking, and I provided him with all the resources and support that I possibly could, including staying up all night with him as he told me his hard past that he dealt with through alcohol. Despite my efforts and his statements that he wanted to change, he kept turning to alcohol. I learned that at the end of the day it needed to be his decision to get past this problem, and putting my sanity on the line was not going to make him change no matter how badly I wanted him to succeed. Realizing this was liberating and put me on the path to being a more successful social worker. I hope as I’m admitted to the social work program I’ll be able to have further opportunities to turn my weaknesses into strengths, fine tune the strengths I already possess, and have more experiences that will prepare me to be a successful social worker.
In this essay, the author
- Describes how they took social work seriously in high school when they stood up in a class where homophobic, uninformed comments were being said. they lobbied for smoke-free regulations and free breast cancer screenings for lower-income women.
- Explains that they possess many attributes that would make them a successful social worker, such as being not judgmental, being collected when given shocking information or in stressful situations, and being able to give honest advice.
- Explains that their interest in social work stems from a love of volunteering that they possessed since they were young.
- Opines that their job as a resident assistant has helped them face some of their weaknesses and get on the path of turning them into strengths.
- Explains the reasons they chose social work as a profession, stating that they were exposed to acts of kindness and generosity, and helped other teenagers in crisis.
- Opines that social work is a challenging, yet rewarding field of work that many empathetic individuals have taken the role of. it is physically, mentally, and emotionally draining and involves low income and unappreciative clients.
- Explains that there are five branches of social work fields one can choose to pursue as a career. healthcare social workers help patients understand their health problems, concerns, and treatments.
- Describes the three types of social workers: mental health, substance abuse, and child and family.
- Explains that social work fields require the minimum of a bachelor's degree in social work (bsw). some positions require 1-2 years of more schooling.
- Explains that future social workers need a bsw, msw, field experience, and pass the lcsw exam. they also need to have certain key skills.
- Describes their first year working in social work as rewarding, challenging, and exhilarating. gaining hands-on experience in the field has confirmed their decision to pursue a master's degree in social work.
- Describes how they first became interested in social work as a student at syosset high school, where they enrolled in an elective course entitled community health, and volunteered for habitat for humanity.
- Narrates how they made a niche of friends who came to them with their personal problems. they listened and provided feedback when appropriate.
- Recounts how their college senior year was filled with excitement and energy, but one night, they had to break the horrifying news to one of their truest and closest friends. they believe nobody should have to lose their lives to this horrible disease.
- Opines that respect and compassion are the two most important qualities to possess when working in this field.
- Describes their role as a residential counselor in the mica recovery program and their desire to utilize fordham/molloy's on-line hybrid program.
- Explains that they have a passion to help people and love to serve the community, which is the main reason they want to become.
- Describes how volunteering as a big sister helped them learn about their little sister's strengths and how they could improve their living conditions. listening to their co-workers' stories has inspired them to be social workers.
- Opines that their interests will enhance georgia state university specialization in community partnership because they believe that the youth are our future.
- Describes the personal qualities that equip them for the social work profession, such as being reliable, thoughtful, having patience, and being an active listener.
- Opines that they can work well with anyone, no matter their race, ethnic, or religion.
- Concludes that they will become a productive and professional social worker because of their grandmother's declining health.
- Opines that social work is a unique and diverse field in that it has the capacity to reach many individuals in many different aspects of their lives.
- Opines that social work is the strength that directs professionals, whether it be providing a service for the community, or assisting someone in time of need. they have worked with the south carolina department of probation, parole and pardon services and the united states army reserve.
- Opines that obtaining a masters in social work would ensure that their passion and talent will contribute to the type of service that they desire to provide.
- Opines that a career in social work is rewarding from the perspective of knowing that you did everything within your means to aid someone.
- Describes how the social work profession influences beings to function in challenging conditions and cope with an array of issues.
- Opines that they would have preferred to have been face-to-face due to how serious the incident was.
- Explains that they have never contemplated suicide, but sometimes they are faced with stress, such as when a co-worker cursed at them during business hours.
- Explains that they seek encouragement from the lord by praying and talking to him on a daily basis, which helps alleviate stress. they also have beautiful, identical twin girls who make their lives worthwhile.
- Explains that if accepted into the masters of social work program, their time will be allocated to working towards all requirements that would enhance obtaining their degree.
- Explains why they would love to become a social worker, but it's difficult to pin point how they became attracted to the profession.
- Explains that they would like to become a social worker to help those who are struggling find the resources they need to foster change.
- Explains that becoming a social worker requires dedication, passion and resiliency. their passions include giving back to their community, inspiring others, generating change, advocating for equal opportunities, and eliminating labels.
- Describes how they aspired to become social worker because they seek challenges and take advantage of opportunities no matter how difficult or challenging they may be.
- Explains that their interest in social work began at a young age when they attended their school's church and became involved in the youth group. they were introduced to the act of service and what it really means to help others.
- Narrates how their passion for people continued through high school, as they stayed involved with youth group, and continued their education at azusa pacific university. once they chose social work as their major, everything clicked.
- Opines that they chose to pursue social work due to their philosophy of justice and believing in the progression towards a just world. they wanted to work with people and provide help to individuals in need.
- Opines that they are motivated to obtain their masters in social work in spite of some difficulties. they are currently 23 years old, unmarried, and have no children.
- Explains that they plan to restructure their life to make ample accommodations for time management. they will quit their current job to create sufficient time for their schooling and obligations that come with the social work field.
- Explains that growing up half indian and half mexican has exposed them to different cross-cultural experiences. they have to figure out their identity in their ethnicity by partaking in ceremonies and traditions.
- Describes how they enjoyed their experiences as a volunteer. they were involved in their youth group in high school, where they would feed the homeless and visit with the elderly.
- Describes how their other outings were to visit convalescent hospitals, where they provided room visits for stimulation and support, and sang worship songs to those who wanted to participate.
- Describes how they went to oasis church for their freshman and sophomore year as part of their service learning experience. they chose this organization because they fed the homeless.
- Explains that they chose social work as their undergraduate major because of the requirement of service hours. their clinical practice class and aging course provided beneficial practice to develop clinical skills in an individual and group setting.
- Explains that they interned at the salvation army and currently work in a convalescent hospital. both settings have populations and cultures that are serviced.
- Explains that at alderwood convalescent hospital, they are the director of social services and are responsible for 93 residents. the facility services many populations such as hispanic, asian, middle eastern, african american, and caucasian.
- Opines that their expectations of attending an msw program in a christian setting are different than the experiences that they had as an undergraduate at azusa pacific university.
- Opines that they expect the program to be more intensive, since they have a background in social work. they expect more responsibility in the masters program due to their already existing background.
- Explains their learning objectives and expectations for themselves in the program are to attain better clinical skills to better assess future clients of theirs.
- Explains that social work is a career in which they can address the necessary aide, by working to solve the issues these two populations face. obtaining their masters in social work will allow more opportunities in the job field.
- Opines that depression is hard on everyone, but especially the elderly population, as it can be dire and weaken their health.
- Opines that the homeless population faces many oppressors that inhibit their ability to progress toward a better life. loss of job, irresponsibility and choice of lifestyle, family dynamics or lack of family, addiction and disability are possible causes.
- Opines that as long as there is sin in the world, there will always be brokenness. as a social worker, we choose to help the needy, oppressed, abused and the broken.
- Explains that they faced ethical conflict with a female resident and her unruly son, who violated visiting hours, urinated outside the facility, stole linen and food, cursing in front of other residents, and was disrespectful to staff.
- Narrates how the administrator allowed the resident's son into the facility because he didn't want to violate her rights as a mother to see her son.
- Explains that their relationship was unhealthy and he was constantly mistreating her, but their motherly love continued to prevail. the best solution was to move the resident from her current room to a room closer to the entrance of the facility.
- Describes how they walked across the stage at suny college at buffalo on may 17th, 2014, as a proud graduate. their accomplishments during their undergraduate study have prepared them for the challenges of graduate school.
- Describes the impact of volunteering at the hope refugee drop-in center on their life and pursuing further studies in the social service field.
- Opines that the experience will help them with their career in social work because they want to focus on creating opportunities and a healthy environment for the community.
- Opines that their career goal is to excel in the social service field and create reforms that will be beneficial to those in need.
- Opines that they are a natural helper and always want the society to progress and see our communities improve for not just now but for future generations.
- Explains that they had no problem figuring out what they wanted to do with their life, since they have always enjoyed helping others in any way they were able. their personal life experiences have greatly impacted their career choices.
- Describes how their biological parents struggled with drug and alcohol addiction for a long period of time, which made it difficult to care for them and their eight siblings.
- Opines that the whitney m. young jr. school of social work master's program will give them the knowledge and skills they need to work with developmentally disabled individuals and foster youth.
- Explains their interest in behavioral and mental health stems from internships at dove pointe, inc., a facility serving the developmentally and intellectually disabled community.
- Opines that attending clark atlanta university would be a dream fulfilled on their path to educational success.
- Describes how they became a social worker after seeing their aunt lose everything and ended up in mental institutions. they wanted to promote social justice and become socially conscious.
- Describes their role as a medicaid case manager for 9 years with the elderly population in florida's nursing home medicaid program.
- Describes how their internship at the hospital was an amazing opportunity for them to see how social workers help to change people's lives one day at a time.
- Describes how their exposure in working at the hospital as a discharge manager allowed them to understand the different genders, races, ethnicities, religions and disabilities, and socioeconomic status.
- Explains that the hospital human resource staff also offers updates for computer based training to educate all staff personnel with the tools to deal with diversity.
- Describes how they were challenged during their internship when they met a beautiful couple with an addiction problem. the couple weaned the pregnant mother off heroin by introducing her to buprenorphine.
Short on time?
Essay Service Examples Life Social Work
Why I Want To Be a Social Worker Essay
- Topics: Social Work
- Words: 1815
- This essay sample was donated by a student to help the academic community. Papers provided by EduBirdie writers usually outdo students' samples.
What can be more rewarding than finishing up your work, and going home knowing you have made a difference in someone’s life? In today’s society, we have people who need caring and support for them to have quality lives and be healthy people overall. Pursing a social work career is my aspiration and I am enthusiastic to apply to the Master’s Degree in Social Work program at Jackson State University. I have always wanted to be able to make a difference in people’s lives. With social work I know I can do this in a caring and supportive way. I also see it as an opportunity to improve the lives of society’s most vulnerable people by being a voice for them and helping them to build a great life for themselves.
There have been many life experiences that led me to have a desire to want to become a social worker. For example, all of my life my mother has taught me the value of helping others. I grew up in an atmosphere where the needs of others were put before my own. My mom‘s example has truly helped me to understand the importance of helping others. As a direct result of this, I always knew I wanted to be in a career that helps people, especially children. There were times growing up when my mom and I would go volunteer at the Salvation Army to give out and serve food to people who cannot afford food or the homeless. Also, I would try to stay involved in organizations that do things to help the community. Some of the organizations I was a member of led me to be involved in going to the nursing homes to visit the elderly, cleaning up around my community, and helping children with their homework to improve their grades in school. In addition to that, I also did workshops and educated teens about domestic violence with Our House Incorporated. I just loved the experience and wanted to be involved in my community in some type of way and bring a smile to people’s faces. Although my undergraduate degree is in Physical Education and focuses mainly on educating a student about their health, I realized that being a Physical Education major meant that I will only be in one setting which is primarily a school. I wanted to be in a career that is flexible and that is not limited to just one setting. So I began to do my own research in other helping professions and I came across social work. After researching I enrolled in an introduction to social work course and I have learned so much about what social workers do. I learned about how marketable the field of social work is and all the different types of settings a person can work at.
In addition to that within my social work course, I had to go volunteer at an agency in the community. The agency I decided to volunteer at was called Bolivar County Community Action Agency in Cleveland, Mississippi. Bolivar County Community Action Agency provides a variety of services ranging from preschool childcare to a senior companion program; from a transitional and homeless shelter to a Homeless Prevention Rapid Re-housing Program; from an adolescent opportunity program to a general education diploma program; from utility/rental assistance to education assistance. The agency’s mission is to enhance the well-being, economic independence, and growth of low-income individuals and families to become self-sufficient and foster community empowerment and development. I think the agency fulfills its mission by providing opportunities and resources for the clients through services that they offer and by connecting them to other agencies as well. At this agency, I learned that social workers have to be caring, and supportive, and document everything that they do. The reason why I want to attend Jackson State University to pursue my Master of Social Work degree is that I have learned so much about the program and how many people have gone into the program and entered their careers and they tell me they look back at how much Jackson State University has poured greatness into them and molded them into great social workers. Also, another reason why I am applying to Jackson State University is that the Master of Social Work program’s mission, goals, and objectives align with what I am looking to achieve and learn in a program to be a successful social worker.
The reason I am transitioning from Physical Education from the Undergraduate level to get my Master in Social Work is that with my undergraduate degree my goal was to help decrease the obesity rates in Mississippi. I believe that the reason why Mississippi has the highest obesity rate is essential because we are not very wealthy. Many families and their children eat a lot of unhealthy foods because they are cheaper and last longer compared to healthy foods that cost more and do not last very long. I wanted to educate children about their overall health so they can live long healthy lives. However, I wanted to do more than just educate children about their health. I knew that I wanted to make a bigger impact on people’s lives as well as work with other populations and groups of people. When I was researching and came across the profession of Social Work, I looked at how social workers work with children, teens, women, men, and the elderly. There are a lot of roles social workers play and things that they do. Some of the social workers ‘roles include being an advocate, broker, case manager, facilitator, and the list goes on. My career goals for social work are to advocate for children and adults when they are dealing with domestic violence; assist individuals with the resources they need such as childcare and healthcare; identify people who need help, such as vulnerable children, adults, and the elderly; to support those that are living in poverty. In addition to that, I am also interested in working with government assistance and benefits programs such as Medicaid, Social Security Insurance, and food assistance. My overall goal is to empower people so that they can feel stronger and become more successful.
- Proper editing and formatting
- Free revision, title page, and bibliography
- Flexible prices and money-back guarantee
In my junior year in college, I gained experience working with diverse populations when I had a roommate from Pakistan. She asked me if could I join or be a volunteer for the International Students Club on campus. Within this organization, I was responsible for helping international students from different counties to learn English as much as possible before they left America at the end of the semester. In addition to me teaching international students English, I was eager to learn about their different cultures. So the international students shared with me more about their different cultures, their religions, the foods they eat, different dances they perform, and clothes that they wear in their countries. From this experience, I believe that I have the skills that it takes to be a great social worker.
Some personal qualifications that will enable me to practice social work successfully are that between work, school, and even my social life I have to interact with other people from different cultures who have different values than me. It is necessary to be accepting of other cultures and not discriminate against them. I believe everyone deserves to be respected and to be able to share how they feel. This ability is essential in the field of social work because I know I will be working with people who have different values, cultures, and lifestyles. Throughout my life, I have served others by understanding and addressing their needs. I have often been described as a people person and love interacting with others. I feel that my experiences and the skills I have developed will help me to be a great social worker because it is critical that social worker understands and empathizes with their clients. Social workers must be understanding and start from where their client is. By making the client’s goals the most important focuses the social worker is able to help the client to be able to help themselves. Also, social workers must work toward goals themselves even when challenges may come up. This skill is necessary because there will be challenges in the field of social work and I will need to be able to not stress but organize myself to handle the situation.
I will balance outside responsibilities with academic responsibilities by developing great time management skills and having a schedule. With my schedule, I plan on writing down when my assignments are due and begin working on them in advance so I do not get behind. I also plan on setting boundaries for myself on what is important and needs to come first when dealing with my academic and outside responsibilities. I will make connections with my classmates so that if I miss a class they can help me by providing information that I need and form a study group together to study for upcoming tests. Also, I plan on practicing self-care when balancing my outside and academic responsivities so I do not get burned out or stressed. I believe when balancing outside and academic responsibilities self-care will be very important and it is very vital in the Social Work profession. If I do not take care of myself and get proper rest I may not be successful within the program as I need to be therefore getting rest and knowing how to manage my time and go strictly by it will be important. Some of my outside responsibilities may include me working a part-time job to support myself financially while in graduate school, being active in organizations on campus, or being active in my community with my Sorority. My academic responsibilities will include me being a full-time student in the Master of Social Work program, studying for tests,s and turning in all assignments on time. As well as doing my internship within the Social Work Program and any other academic things my professors require of me to do.
Overall, I want to be a social worker that is dedicated and willing to go beyond for a person because I believe everyone deserves to live a happy life. My career goal is to work with underprivileged people from all walks of life and be there to help them with anything that they need. Social work is a field that suits my strengths, interests, and professional approach to working. My greatest desire is to go to Jackson State University to get my Master’s Degree in Social Work and enter the career of my dreams. I believe that Jackson State University is the place for me to be and is a family-oriented institution that will mold me into the best social worker that I can be. I greatly appreciate your consideration for helping me to achieve this goal in advance.
Our writers will provide you with an essay sample written from scratch: any topic, any deadline, any instructions.
Cite this Page
Get your paper done in as fast as 3 hours, 24/7.
Related essay Topics
Popular categories, most popular essays.
- Social Work
Social work developed as a service to the people. The International Federation of Social Workers defines social work as a practice based profession and an academic discipline that promotes social change and development, social cohesion, and the empowerment and liberation of people. Industrial social work is an area of service delivery in the industries and in addition in social work activities. Industrial social work is influenced by a number factors such as the cultural, historical and socio- economic factors. It...
In the future I see myself working as a children’s social worker because it is very rewarding career which can help individuals or society as a whole, undoubtedly it is very stressful job with a massive workload, very time consuming and has incredibly unsociable hours, it is not one of those nine to five jobs. Fortunately, I am that kind of person who loves challenges and being under stressful situations, figuring out ways to make someone’s life better is something...
- Social Justice
Even though mental health has constituted a fundamental part of the definition of human wellbeing, this has only recently become a public health priority, both worldwide and at the local level (Stacey & Herron, 2002). Particularly in Australia, where the high burden of morbidity due to mental health issues ranks third (Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2018), the government is now paying special attention to the traditional approaches in delivery services, detecting flaws and promoting the development of new...
Social work is one of the top choices for career options for a lot students (Humprey, 2011). Many people go into the social work profession because it “can provide job satisfaction and contribute to our sense of meaning and purpose in life” (Humprey, 2011). This what it felt like for me when I was deciding what career I wanted to pursue after high school. I want to go into social work because of my personal experience and I thought it...
Group work is an essential component of Social Work due to its nature of being a multi-disciplinary practice and using groupwork methods of intervention (Maclean, 2015). Having taken part in a group assignment on the book The Lightless Sky, I have discovered how group work impacts on my personal and professional development as a Social Worker, through contributing to my self-awareness, personal growth and ability to work co-operatively with others. Throughout my experience with group work, I have identified many...
This essay regards a significant incident that occurred during my first social work placement in an educational setting. The incident involves a child who holds negative feelings towards social workers, and how this has affected my practice. Gibbs (1988) suggests a “reflective cycle” which underpins the necessary steps of manipulating an effective reflection; the steps consist of a “description, feelings, evaluation, analysis, conclusion, and an action plan” (cited by Beesley et al, 2018, pg. 15). This essay will incorporate this...
Social work is a profession that requires knowledge, skills and special training to be able to practice professionally. Due to this, social workers are expected to meet certain requirements in order to practice as professional social workers. One of the requirements is being fit to practice which determines whether or not social workers can enter and practice safely without any obstructions(Social Work England, 2020b, pg 4). If a person is deemed incapable of being fit to practice, it can raise...
Before the pandemic, life was advancing and moving on faster than ever. There was a time and place for everything whether it was attending university lectures or visiting placement. Now that the pandemic has arrived, life changed drastically and it became limiting. Everything outside our homes came to a stand-still and it has completely changed the way society will now work and operate. I have realised because of this pandemic that it will never be the same, and that social...
In this essay I will be evaluating co-production in relation to their strengths and limitations. I will explain how this concept promotes relationship-based and person centred in relation to social work practice. Social workers will also empower individuals and let people be independent and self-determined, living the lives they want and having control. Social workers will follow the guide of the PCF, the nine domains: professionalism, values and ethic, diversity and equality, rights, justice and economic wellbeing, knowledge, critical reflection...
- Get original paper written according to your instructions
- Save time for what matters most
Fair Use Policy
EduBirdie considers academic integrity to be the essential part of the learning process and does not support any violation of the academic standards. Should you have any questions regarding our Fair Use Policy or become aware of any violations, please do not hesitate to contact us via [email protected]
We are here 24/7 to write your paper in as fast as 3 hours.
- RESEARCH PAPERS AND ESSAYS
- ESSAY TOPICS
- PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES
- Joseph Robinette Biden
- Donald Trump
- Barack Obama
- States Ranked by Size & Population
- States Ranked by Date
Why I Want To Be A Social Work Essay
Personal narrative: my haitian-american family.
I am very honored and thankful to be the first the person in my family to attend college fall of 2016. As I strive to end my senior year positive, I always remember to tell my younger siblings to try as hard as they can in school, because “education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” I’ve decided that I would like to get my degree in social work, specifically working with children. Growing I’ve been around kids that are unhappy with thier home, but couldn’t do anything about it. My mother’s story really contributed to what I want to become in the future. I want to be there for all my clients, just the way my mother was there for me when I needed her support or when her clients needed
Essay On Veterans Home
I was mainly excited about being able to volunteer somewhere and get the feel of being a social worker. My first thoughts were, where I would I volunteer? The first thing that came to mind was the veteran’s home. I say that because I have an uncle who is a veteran. So initially I felt like if I volunteered their, maybe I could learn what ways I can better assist my uncle in what he is going through. Other thoughts were; would I have to dress a certain way? How could I make a great impression? How can I make them remember me? What exactly would I have to do? My mind juggled up until the day I started volunteering. My feelings about volunteering were neutral. This was something I wanted to experience and was excited about.
Multidimensional Biopsychosocial Assessment
I am employed as an on-going social worker by the MA Department of Children and Families (DCF). DCF is a child protection agency, which is responsible for protecting children from abuse and neglect and strengthening families. The Department has offices throughout the Commonwealth; I am located at the New Bedford area office. As an on-going social worker I am assigned families after a report of abuse or neglect has been reported, investigated and supported. It is the on-going social worker’s responsibility to provide professional child welfare social work services, through home visits, to the family. This is done by assessing the family’s strengths and needs, developing
Social Work Personal Statement Essay
Social workers often need their own psychiatrist first, in order to be the most efficient in their practice. This aspect is known as the “psycho” part of the Biospycho-social Spiritual perspective. There are several aspects of my being that I can affectively contribute to the social work profession. For example, I utilize my time effectively. I take very in depth notes, and I am also a comprehensive listener. I am a natural motivator and very attentive. In order to be the best social worker I can be I plan on abiding by all values and ethics in the social work profession. I will abide by the rule of confidentiality and not discuss any particulars on any client. I will study hard in order to fully understand my mission as a social worker. I will bring fresh ideas to my agency while upholding the social work values. I want to help my clients set attainable goals and also help them achieve those goals. This is using the Task-Centered Model of Social Work. I have volunteered at several schools and assisted teachers with students. I have also volunteered at soup kitchens and participated in Clothing Drives for my community. I am a good candidate for the MSW program because I posess many of the attributes listed in the NASW Code of
Examples Of Career Goals In Social Work
Graduating from high school, I have always had a passion working with kids. I never put into thought exactly what I wanted to do with kids, all I knew was that I wanted to work with kids. At first, my career choice was to become a midwife. There were several complications down the road, in which I could no longer pursue that career choice. I had to re-evaluate myself, as well as my career, and that is when I came across social work. As a social worker, I was going to be able to work with kids in every different type of environment, as well as impact the kids which is what I always wanted to do.
Social Worker Personal Statement
The quality MSW program offered at Our Lady of the Lake will enable me to conduct research into, and increase my understanding of the diversity this program entails. I know that my adaptive personality will help me to form lasting connections to further build my professional goals. I believe that I my passion, drive, having an open mind and willingness to learn will grant me success as a Social Worker. I am determined to do all that I can to pursue a Master’s degree in Social Work and commit myself to improving the social and personal experiences of family’s, geriatrics, and children. After receiving my degree, I want to find a career in Child Welfare, while also servicing the geriatric
Letter Of Intent For Social Work Research Paper
My understanding of the social work profession is that it’s a career path that concerns itself with the welfare of people from all backgrounds. Individuals in this career field have the wherewithal to handle with the continuously changing demographic in which they serve. They also assume responsibility for the development, implementation, and management of social services that they provide. The social work profession employs the world with skilled workers that use the tools and resources available to them to advance the lives of others. Individuals in this career field are capable of ethical decision making and are advocates for positive social change for the oppressed
Social Work Ethics
Before pursuing a career in social work, I was never really aware of what social workers were nor how valuable their role in society is. Throughout my childhood, I was never exposed to a life in which social workers were common figures. It was not until I went to high school that I got a better understanding of what the world really looked like and the importance of social workers. I went to a low-income high school in Homestead and it was truly an eye-opening experience. I was always accustomed to an environment with no violence or crime and when I moved there it was a depiction of a reality that I was not aware existed. Before pursuing a degree in social work, my main interest was in early childhood education. I was a part of the Early Childhood Academy at my high school and had the opportunity to volunteer for a number of child care centers. Oftentimes, some of the youth in foster care that would come for after-care would share their experiences of abuse and neglect with me. I began to acquire knowledge of what some of those children were facing. I also went to school with quite a large amount of classmates that had some history of childhood trauma. They shared their stories in which they were subjected to traumatic experiences, including rape, incest, domestic violence, and/or parental substance abuse. I was
Human Service Interview
I have always known I want to work with children. I am not certain yet exactly what area I want to work with yet. I have considered Child Protective Services, Adoption and Foster Care Agencies, or working in a group home with children. I am sure as I continue my degree in Human Services and do my field observation and internship that it will help guide me in the direction of what I want to do with my degree. At the moment I know I will make a
Why I Chose Social Work Essay
On a day like this I think to myself what does life have in store for me? Here I’m going to write about what I hope as I begin taking Social Work courses. I hope to pass all of my courses and graduate one day with my bachelor’s degree from Heritage University. I also hope that after graduating Heritage, I find a job so I can save up money and attend a master’s program because college is not cheap. I want to attend Walla Walla University and graduate from there as well, with a Master’s in Social Work. All of this will be accomplished by first passing all my courses here at heritage and one think will lead to the next as if we were to play follow the leader.
Social Work Personal Statement Examples
Social work is a career that I have recently become interested in pursuing. I spent many years with misconceptions concerning the sector. However, following three years of working close by these experts, I have picked up a more profound comprehension of the significance of the work.I am especially interested in working in child welfare along with terminally ill children. I have got to a stage in my career where I have started to search out instruction that will make me more efficient in creating plans and providing services for vulnerable people. I am confident that the skills that I will gain from completing a social work master’s degree will help me collaborate with people in need and aid sustainable growth in their lives.
Social Work: Ethical Principles: Importance Of Human Relationships
I remember when I was little girl and I would always ask myself what the meaning of life is and is they’re really a god. But I was never able to answer my own questions until now. I was born and raised in a Christian household and we was taught never to ask questions of that of nature or doubt our faith. The world is the way it is because that is how god made it. I’m quite religious, so I tend to find meaning in life through service and allegiance to god. We all have our personal thoughts and view of philosophy of life.
I Want To Be A Social Worker Essay
For as long as I can remember, I have possessed a desire to help people, especially those who are less fortunate than me. This trait along with life experiences are what drew me to want to pursue a career in social work. I want to be available to provide support to people when they have nowhere else to turn.
Essay On Values In Life
I believe that everything in life has a purpose and I think that I was put in the foster care system because helping youths and people is my purpose in life. I feel good helping and empowering people to be the best person they can be and growing up as a young child I always put other people’s needs before myself. It also takes a special person to do this kind of work. A social worker has to be strong, an advocate, and have thick skin. I can’t find a position more suitable for me other than social work because helping people is where I feel my
Essay On Social Work Experience
I feel that my education at the University of North Texas has prepared me for a career in social work because it gave me opportunities to branch out of my comfort zone and become familiar with multiple populations of people. Before entering the BSW Program at UNT I was set on working with the geriatric population. I had worked with geriatrics before and was very comfortable with them, forming connections was easy, and I felt this was the population I was meant to be working with. Once I was accepted into the program though I learned that just because I had experience and was comfortable working with this specific population, it didn’t mean I had to continue working with them. My professors provided us with many opportunities to learn about and become familiar with many different populations. Learning to work with more than one population has helped me build my patience and tolerance levels, it has even helped me become more flexible
More about Why I Want To Be A Social Work Essay
My Understanding Of The Profession Of Social Work Essay
What makes critical social work.
So what is social work? The York University - School of Social Work (2015), mission statement suggests that social work practice affirms personal experiences influenced by social structure and addresses social injustices, oppression and other problems current to our society and that critical social work practitioners are the agents of change.
The Seven Core Values Of Caritas And Social Work
Social work is based upon the core values of service, social justice, dignity, worth of the person, importance of human relationships, integrity and competence. Its seven core functions are described by Popple & Leighninger (2011) as engagement, assessment, planning, implementation, monitoring/evaluation, supportive counseling and graduated disengagement. Six other core values identified by the National Association of Social Workers' (NASW) Code of Ethics include service, challenging social justice, respecting the dignity and worth of a person, importance of human relationships, integrity, and competence.
Case Study : Sociocultural And Social Work Lens
Social work professions need to understand the importance of how individuals interact both with other people and their environment, to have an understanding how individuals are affected by these interactions (Rogers, p. 2). According to Rogers (2016), “Social workers are knowledgeable about human behavior across the life course; the range of social systems in which people live; and the ways social systems promote or deter people in maintaining or achieving health and well-being. Social workers apply theories and knowledge from the liberal arts to understand biological, social, cultural, psychological, and spiritual development (p. 2). Their work with clients begins with assessments to evaluations of intervention and is based in and supports of the core value system of the profession.
Social workers form relationships with people and assist them to live more successfully within their local communities by helping them find solutions to their problems. Social work involves engaging not only with clients themselves but their families and friends as well as working closely with other organisations including the police, local authority departments, schools and the probation service.
The Social Work Profession And Its Core Values Essay
My understanding of the social work profession and its core values is that social workers are caregivers, they provide assistance to people in need, and they address social problems. The social worker goal is the improvement of society to ameliorate the lives of individuals in need. The social work profession mission is to enhance the well-being of people and to assist them in meeting their basic needs, with particular emphasis on the needs of the poor, and the vulnerable individual. The Social Work profession has six core values. These core values are the foundation of the social work profession. The social worker incorporates these core values into his daily practices. Service to others is one of the fundamental values of social work. Social workers goal is serving others and putting the needs of their clients ahead of their own. Social justice is another core value of social work. Social workers aim at improving the lives of the disadvantaged, vulnerable people who are less fortunate or unable to advocate for themselves. Social workers understand the essential value of every human life, regardless of ethnic background, cultural differences or religious beliefs. Their goal is to respect the dignity and worth of every person. Another key value of social work is integrity. The social workers conduct themselves in a trustworthy, honest, and responsible manner at all times. Competence is another important core value of the social work profession. The
My Understanding Of The Social Work
My understanding of the social work profession is that it is a helping profession. To me social workers help others in a variety of situations. Social workers help find and connect people with resources for food, rent, insurance, medical care. Social workers also do work fighting for social justice on the Micro, Mezzo and Macro aspect, working for individuals and family to making laws to help underserved populations. Social workers also provide education to clients for lots of reasons. Some social workers became licensed and help people with counseling that may be needed for things such as PTSD or anxiety.
Social Workers And The Social Work Essay
Social workers are caregivers, they provide assistance to people in need, and they address social problems. The social worker’s goal is the improvement of society to better the lives of individuals in need. The social work professional mission is to enhance the well-being of people and to assist them in meeting their basic needs, with particular emphasis on the needs of the poor, and the vulnerable individual. The Social Work profession has six core values. Social workers incorporate these core values into their daily practices. Service to others, the social workers’ goals are to serve others and to put the needs of their clients ahead of their own. Social justice, social workers aim to improve the lives of the disadvantaged, vulnerable and oppressed populations. Social workers understand the essential value of every human life, regardless of an individual’s ethnic background, cultural difference or religious belief. Their goal is to respect the dignity and worth of every person. Integrity, social workers strive to conduct themselves in a trustworthy, honest, and responsible manner at all times. Competence, the social workers practice their profession within their areas of expertise and that they regularly seek to improve and develop their knowledge.
Caree Career Goals
The purpose of social work in the contemporary society is concern for the individual. The function of social work is to help solve problems in human relationships for a better quality of life and to protect them from harm and from harming others which will enhance well-being. I have decided to pursue social work as a profession because I am at the point in my life where I want a sense of fulfilment. I care about people, I want to help others. I want to make the world a better place to live. I want to be the change I want to see. I want to serve the people in society who are physical, mentally, and socially less privileged than I am and make them feel loved and accepted. I will work with all groups of people but I have a strong interest in working with children and people who suffer from mental illnesses and addiction. I am interested in social work because it is a career with lots of flexibility in an ever-changing field allowing me to work in different settings, with different goals and challenges, but with a shared purpose of serving the common good of people.
Class Ethics And Values At Jackson State University
When I first entered the field of social work at Southwest Mississippi Community College, I was clueless as to what the social work profession entailed. At Southwest MS Community College, we mostly focused on perquisites and a few classes related to family. After, leaving Southwest MS Community College and entering Jackson State University, I realized my previous college did not teach me anything relating to the field of social work. However, my entry in my first class Ethics and Values at Jackson State University taught me about the six core values in social work, such as service, social justice, dignity and worth of the person, importance of human relationships, integrity and competence. Upon, my entry into JSU, Bachelors of Social Work (BSW) program, I understood that social work was not about assisting only children. There is masses of people who need, social workers to advocate for better housing, food, medical care and other basic necessities to survive everyday life.
The Code Of Ethics Of National Association Of Social Workers
Social work refers to the profession in which there is a “distinctive emphasis... on the interface between individuals and their social environment” (Toseland & Rivas, 2005, p. 5). The profession was created as a response to a need or concern (Johnson & Yanca, 2010, p. 4). Common human needs include: food, shelter, clothing, health care, opportunities for emotional and intellectual growth, as well as meaningful relationships (Johnson & Yanca, 2010, p. 6). As Johnson and Yanca (2009) state, social work is only one of several social functioning professions and continues to develop from influences from the past and present (p. 10). The profession itself mainly focuses on social welfare, as its purpose is to “promote human and community well-being” (Schriver, 2011, p. 3).
Social Work : A Field Of Interest Essay
The social work profession consists of the six core values of service, social justice, dignity and worth of the person, importance of human relationships, integrity, and competence. These core values are portrayed within the roles of this profession by assessing and evaluating client’s needs, advocating for improving community resources, managing crisis situations, providing therapeutic support, and referring client’s to beneficial services. As well as, developing a dual client relationship to strengthen the helping process and treating each client ethically. Social workers are constantly progressing their professional expertise. They do this
Social Work Can Be Defined As A Broad Profession Essay
Assumed social work values include compassion and empathy for people who are in need, as well as selflessness to provide help to those who happen to be less fortunate and could benefit from professional assistance. Social workers must be able to understand the misfortunes of society and its individuals, without necessarily having experienced the same misfortunes firsthand. Being able to empathize for people without knowing from personal experience what they are going through is one example of the many assumed social work values. Furthermore, being able to advocate for social change, as well as for the rights of people who cannot advocate for themselves. Empathy, compassion, advocacy, and social justice are all examples of the
The Theory Of Social Work Essay
According to the National Association of Social Work, “The primary mission of the social work profession is to enhance human well-being and help meet the basic human needs of all people, with particular attention to the needs and empowerment of people who are vulnerable, oppressed, and living in poverty. A historic and defining feature of social work is the profession’s focus on individual well-being in a social context and the well-being of society. Fundamental to social work is attention to the environmental forces that create, contribute to, and address problems in living.”
A Career as a Social Worker Essay
- 6 Works Cited
A social worker has a very important job. Social workers help children and families in need of food, homes, and health care. They help children have a brighter future. There are many different types of social work. There are mental health, child and family, elementary, and high school social workers.
Nasw. “The Primary Mission Of The Social Work Profession
“The primary mission of the social work profession is to enhance human well being and help meet the basic human needs of all people with particular attention to the needs and empowerment of people who are vulnerable, oppressed and living in poverty.” (1)
- Social work
- Social justice
Essay On Why I Want To Be A Social Worker
Show More Why are you interested in the field of social work? Upon starting college, I was undecided, and was unsure of what I wanted to major in. I was often asked, “What do you like to do?” My response would always be I enjoy helping others. I have always wanted a career that would afford me the opportunity to work with people and help them. After researching numerous majors, I decided that social work would be the best match for what I enjoyed doing. There have been various life experiences that have led me to have the desire to become a social worker. For example, throughout my life, my family has taught me the value of helping others. I know being a social worker is very rewarding and I’m eager to get started in the program. The rapidly growing elderly population is becoming a serious social problem in many countries. Why do you think it is a serious growing problem? My interest in the elderly dates back to my childhood. I have gained so much insight …show more content… No one is perfect. We all have been judged from one of our flaws at one point of time. Everyone deserves equal economic, political and social rights and opportunities. A lot of clients that are elderly, homeless, or have mental concerns are often taken advantage of or overlooked. For example, making sure homeless people have access to health care as well as food assistance is important. It’s essential that staff treat clients respectfully if they are placed in adult homes or make sure the homes adhere to any policy that should be followed. Poverty and discrimination pose a constant challenge to policies that serve the health and income needs of children, families, people with disabilities and the elderly. Equality and fairness are core aspects of social justice and are discussed by social work practitioners who use research to reflect upon their practice. Taking care of the least advantaged members of society assures protection of equal
Reflective essay: the intro to social work.
The road to become a social worker has not been easy. I did not expect this degree to fall out of the sky, but I did know about the added work during the internship. I learned early in the program that it takes patience and perseverance to stay in this program. I will reflect on the courses that has opened my eyes to the diversity in this society. The Intro to Social Work course was wonderful at displaying how the social work foundation got started and the people who stumbled upon social work through the act of kindness by looking beyond themselves to help others.…
My Mother Is Important To Me
Therefore, some of my values may be adjusted overtime. As a future social worker, I desire to gain more professional values and ethical competence. One of the most influential people in my life is my mother. In many ways, she has taught me so much about life. While being a great importance to her, she taught me integrity.…
Master Of Social Work Personal Statement
I could not be any more grateful to have been granted this experience. This degree will not only allow me to progress in my career as a social worker, but it will allow me to also progress personally. By pursuing a Master of Social Work, I will provided with more job opportunities in the child welfare field, the opportunity to receive further education of the social work field and the option to teach social work in higher education. The experiences I 've had helping others thus far is something that I want to continue for as many years as I possibly can. A professor at Lewis University that I have grown close to, jokes with me and says that I will be a social worker well after I 'm old and grey.…
Personal Statement: A Career As A Clinical Social Worker
I find I work best when I can form individual bonds with people, which is much harder when working with a larger organization or community. Once I earn my LICSW, I hope to work in private practice with older adults and eventually own a counseling agency. I am interested in perhaps earning an MBA to more easily reach this goal since I will need to have marketing and business skills, but I know I will always work within the social work field. This discipline has already left a significant impact on my life thus far and I could not be more thankful to have the opportunity to potentially in the program here at Rhode Island…
Social Worker Interview Paper
Victor and Jaclyn help me understand Social Work better. They encourage me to become a Clinical Social worker. I am glad to have them in my life and I know if I need help or have questions of Social Worker they will be there to help me in my career path. For me the best part of the interview it was learning that Jaclyn was inspire by Victor (Jaclyn,2016) and that they graduate from the same University. I like when Victor mention that he thinks Jesus started Social Worker.…
My Social Work Experience
What that means to me is, being able to work on an interdisciplinary team and providing ethical support to patients and their families during times of illness. The National Association of Social Workers put together the Code of Ethics, with leading principles which make sure social workers share their knowledge, to all individuals, in a nonjudgmental manner. The social work profession is about meeting the basic needs of all people, in particular those who are vulnerable, oppressed, and have lower socio-economic statuses. As a medical social worker, I will hopefully get to work with a number of diverse individuals, and from a wide variety of cultures. It will be my duty to provide services and address every individual’s needs on a micro, mezzo and macro level.…
I want to say what a child is afraid of or does not know how to say. Furthermore a Social Worker has not always been my first job choice. A job where helping people was its first priority was my dream job. My passion for the law made me want to explore that interest. A career as a juvenile attorney is the dream I was entering college with.…
My Motivation To Study Social Work
After learning more about what the major entitled I thought that it could possible be something that I would really enjoy. Ever since deciding to major in social work, I have struggled to have confirmation that this is where I am supposed to be and if being a social worker is really something that I feel I want to spend the rest of my life being. I decided to take this course to help me learn more about what the field of social work encompasses and to clear up if this is where I am supposed to be in my life. As I continue to struggle to make a definite decision, I feel that this class has drawn me closer to the field of social work. I have grown to have an even greater passion for helping people and a desire to create unity and…
Statement Of Purpose To Be A Social Worker
Discuss why you want to be a social worker. What personal, academic, volunteer and/or work experiences have influenced this choice? If you have worked in other fields, please discuss the reasons for this change. Helping people, is why most people say they would like to be a Social Worker and quite frankly its starting to sound a little cliché. However, it is something that I have always been passionate about.…
I Want To Be A Social Worker
This is the main reason I want to become a social worker. I have such a passion for helping people that I want to do it for the rest of my life. I want to see others succeed and reach their full potential. Sometimes I become so consumed with other individuals’ problems and concerns that I start forgetting about my own, but that makes me love it so much more. Being a social worker is a selfless job.…
- Social work
Ready To Get Started?
- Create Flashcards
- Mobile apps
- Cookie Settings
The Essay Writing Experts US Essay Experts
Disclaimer: This is an example of a student written essay. Click here for sample essays written by our professional writers.
View full disclaimer
Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of UKEssays.com.
What attracts you to the field of social work?
1. What attracts you to the field of social work?
If you need assistance with writing your essay, our professional essay writing service is here to help!
2. What influences, persons, or work/life experiences guide your choice of social work as a profession?
3. discuss personal strengths you possess which will make you an effective helping person..
Our academic experts are ready and waiting to assist with any writing project you may have. From simple essay plans, through to full dissertations, you can guarantee we have a service perfectly matched to your needs.
4 Discuss your vulnerabilities as these influence your development as a professional social worker. Specifically discuss any history of substance abuse, problems in a work setting, criminal activity, and/or help-seeking for personal issues.
5. describe your special work practice as you anticipate it five years from now., cite this work.
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Essay Writing Service
- Dissertation Writing Service
- Assignment Writing Service
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have your work published on UKEssays.com then please:
Our academic writing and marking services can help you!
- Find out more about our Essay Writing Service
- Undergraduate 2:2
- 7 day delivery
- Marking Service
- Samples of our Service
- Full Service Portfolio
Study for free with our range of university lectures!
- All Available Lectures
Freelance Writing Jobs
Looking for a flexible role? Do you have a 2:1 degree or higher?
Free resources to assist you with your university studies!
- Dissertation Resources at UKDiss.com
- How to Write an Essay
- Essay Buyers Guide
- Referencing Tools
- Essay Writing Guides
- Masters Writing Guides
Search Support Articles
*You can also browse our support articles here >
Change Region / Country
Here you can choose which regional hub you wish to view, providing you with the most relevant information we have for your specific region. If your specific country is not listed, please select the UK version of the site, as this is best suited to international visitors.
United Arab Emirates
Home — Essay Samples — Life — Professions & Career — Social Work
Social Work Essay Examples
The positive effects of change in social work, social work: career goals and mission, the importance of social work for society, bringing the meaning in life: why i want to be a social worker, ethical dilemmas in social work: solution to address the situation, the importance for a social worker to properly assess child development, analysis of the concept of "social work", career profile research assignment: a career of social worker, applications of statistics in social work research, reflection on my placement in ingle farm primary school, the lessons i've learned as a social worker with an occupational therapist and nurses, a study on the social impact of jane addams, life and legacy of jane addams, documentation of previous learning experience: social worker, analysis of the dead goldfinch by george elgar hicks in relation to social work, jane addams and her contributions to social work, meeting with a social worker: a radical change of life, a study on jane addams’ philanthropic nature, how technology assisted social work aids various social work roles, systemic problems in the social services on the example of kyla and david, the sssc codes of practice for social workers, jane addams – the mother of social work, social work field education: self-assessment, my intrinsic motivation - that's why i want to be a social worker, feeling stressed about your essay.
Get professional help in 5 minutes
Social work is an academic discipline and practice-based profession concerned with meeting the basic needs of individuals, families, groups, communities, and society as a whole to enhance their individual and collective well-being.
Females account for around 83% of all social workers. Healthcare social workers and family, child, and school social workers are the highest paying social work jobs. Social workers helped decrease the number of juvenile arrests by 68% between 1996 and 2015. Social workers provide over 60% of mental health services.
Mahatma Gandhi, Jane Addams, Alfred Neumann, Frances Feldman, Ida B. Wells, Harriett Rinaldo, etc.
Top 10 Similar Topics
- Dream Career
- Career Goals
- Work Experience
We can help you get a better grade and deliver your task on time!
- Instructions Followed To The Letter
- Deadlines Met At Every Stage
- Unique And Plagiarism Free
- Writing Tools
- Example Essays
- Citation Generator
- Flash Card Generator
- Social Worker
- Personal Statement for a Social Worker Essay
Personal Statement For A Social Worker Essay
Excerpt from Essay :
I also see that learning matches with my ideals with respect to helping others -- I can help others better when I equip myself better with respect to knowledge and skills. So I see continued education as a pathway to helping others, and also as a pathway to bettering myself. Finally, I am in a good position at this point in my life. With a stable family situation, and in particular a stable financial situation, this is the time for me to pursue this vision, as I have the means to take these last few steps towards having my own practice as a clinical social worker. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? This is my vision -- to have my own practice. I think that initially when I graduate I will work for an agency in order to build my skill set and gain valuable experience. My long-term vision, however, is to open my own practice, which will give me the freedom to pursue the cases that are most rewarding for me personally. I want to be able to spend time with clients and be of genuine help to them. This vision might take a few years after graduation , but definitely within ten years I want to have this practice of my own so that I can specialize in helping children and their families, to give everybody a chance to pursue their dreams . What major social issue do you think that professional social workers should be concerned with? One of the major issues that interests me the most is children with disabilities . I work with such children already in my capacity as a physical education teacher, and I can see how this issue affects people. Because of this, I think that it is important that children with disabilities are given every opportunity to succeed. This means that I will be dedicate to their service, because of what it means to their lives. This is such an important issue, because there is still a lot of discrimination against people with disabilities. Too often, despite there being laws in place , doors are closed to people with disabilities and disabled children feel this. They need to know that there are opportunities in this world, and whatever I can do to help them achieve their dreams I will do. Part of that is working directly with them, and part is helping society to see how its treatment of the disabled, especially disabled children, is actually quite harmful. I think that social work can help with this issue. Not only can social workers impact positively on individual lives, but we can also help to change society's views of disabled individuals, to change perceptions and try to break down some of the barriers. People do not always realize that their words and actions are harmful, but that is something where the social work profession can help, to serve as advocates for those whose voices are too often not heard . I feel that there is a significant role for social workers in driving change in society in this regard, and that is one of the contributions that I want to make. How will you incorporate and uphold the NASW code of ethics ? The NASW code of ethics fits in with this vision. Some of the most important elements of this code include understanding cultural competency and social diversity, including specifically the role that social workers can play in advocacy and political action . So this is something that not only is one of my professional objectives, but is closely aligned with the objectives and ethical code of the NASW as well. Social justice is a very important part of being a social worker. Working with diverse populations should not challenge this. The code of ethics is quite clear with respect to treating people with dignity, fostering relationships and understanding and championing social justice causes. There is no inherent conflict between these elements of the code of ethics and working with diverse populations -- you are still expected to be an advocate for your clients and to treat them with respect and dignity. The challenges and how I will overcome them The internship load is a lot -- 25 weeks of full-time work. This will be a challenge to juggle in with my studies. I do not have to work as my husband is going to be the financial breadwinner during…
Cite this Document:
"Personal Statement For A Social Worker" (2015, November 15) Retrieved March 6, 2023, from https://www.paperdue.com/essay/personal-statement-for-a-social-worker-2154916
"Personal Statement For A Social Worker" 15 November 2015. Web.6 March. 2023. < https://www.paperdue.com/essay/personal-statement-for-a-social-worker-2154916 >
"Personal Statement For A Social Worker", 15 November 2015, Accessed.6 March. 2023, https://www.paperdue.com/essay/personal-statement-for-a-social-worker-2154916
Personal Statement Social Work Has Been and
Personal Statement Social work has been and will always remain the most viable career choice for me because of my genuine concern for both social justice and human dignity. Further, I also possess a deep desire to impact positively on the lives of others. Social work provides me with a viable platform to accomplish this. In my case, I regard playing an active role in the restoration of the social functioning
Social Workers' Perceptions Revised Social
As the number of dementia patients with end-stage illness is increasing; a higher number of social workers will be required to treat them in the future. It is important to evaluate the behavioral patterns of social workers dealing with such patients. The main purpose of such research is to identify the possible causes for such behavior so that necessary measures can be taken to reverse the situation. Role of Hospice
Personal Statement What Is Your Intended Major
Personal Statement What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the field developed and describe any experience you have had in the field - such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities - and what you have gained from your involvement. My planned major is Sociology. My interest in this field stems from my own life's challenges such as being brought to the United States
Personal Statement for Admission Into Nurse Practitioner Program
Personal Statement Application for the Nurse Practitioner Program at UCSF I first experienced the duties of a nurse practitioner in WHATEVER, a small mountain village in Nepal. From 1996-1998, I worked as a Community Health Volunteer with the American Peace Corps. During those two years, I worked with Nepalese women and children, teaching classes on first aid, family planning and nutrition. I also organized immunization clinics, ran a health library, and conducted
Personal Statement -- Public Policy
If given the opportunity to amend the policy, what action would you take and why? The national proposal to increase sin taxes on alcoholic beverages is long overdue and should be supported not only by all sectors of the government but the American public most especially. The fact is well-known that alcohol consumption is not only dangerous for the consumer but also has various economic and social harms for the
Social Worker Social Work Is Significant Aspect
Social Worker Social work is significant aspect of the society as it helps in caring for those in need. Those in this profession need to develop awareness of the underlying knowledge associated with the key principles of social work. Social workers need to illustrate their ability to apply knowledge and skills, values via case studies. It is important for social workers to demonstrate awareness of the skills needed to establish
- Animals Essay Topics
- Moral Values Essay Topics
- Festivals Essay Topics
- Education Essay Topics
- Nature Essay Topics
- National Days Essay Topics
- Holidays Essay Topics
- Social Awareness Essay Topics
- India Essay Topics
- Sports Essay Topics
- Personalities Essay Topics
- Science & Technology Essay Topics
- Environmental Issues Essay Topics
- Proverbs Essay Topics
- Seasons Essay Topics
- Profession Essay Topics
- School Essay Topics
- Essay Topics for Class 4
- Essay Topics for Class 5
- Essay Topics for Class 6
- Essay Topics for Class 7
- Essay Topics for Class 8
- Essay Topics for Class 9
Essay Topics for Class 10
- Essay Topics for Class 11,12
- Current Trending Essay Topics 2023
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan - Research
Essay on Why I want to Become a Social Worker
Social work is something that satisfies our soul and many of us want to become a social worker. It is up to us and our power, how much we can do? It is not necessary to always help people with money; all you need is a pure heart and a helping soul.
Short and Long Essays on Why I want to Become a Social Worker in English
Here are some essays of 100 - 120 Words, 250 Words, 500 Words, and 600 Words limit on this topic, hope you would like them:
Why I want to Become a Social Worker Essay 10 Lines (100 - 150 Words)
1) Every time I see needy people, I eagerly want to help them.
2) My grandfather says, if God made you capable, you should help needy ones.
3) My grandfather is an inspiration for me, he serves for humanity that I love the most.
4) I cannot see any person in trouble.
5) Helping others let me feel a different type of relaxation.
6) Once I read about Mother Teresa that influenced me a lot.
7) Since childhood I aim to remove poverty from my country.
8) I like the kind-heartedness of the social workers.
9) I like how social workers are respected and loved by all.
10) Social working is a very self-satisfactory and soulful service.
Essay 1 (250 Words) - Why I want to Become a Social Worker?
Social work is something that gives me happiness and a kind of satisfaction. The importance of charity has been mentioned in our ancient mythological books. But there are very few who follow. Some of us just do charity to get someplace in heaven. But Social work or charity is something that should be done by heart and only by those who really want to help others.
All of us just need one reason to love any work and my reason is my mother. I learned from her and I want to be like her. I have seen her feeding beggars and poor, who were unable. No one uses to go hungry from our door. All these things inspired me a lot and I also want to contribute myself as a social worker.
My mother is a homemaker, so; she cannot travel across the city and do charity on a large scale. She also has to take care of us as well as our pets. But I have decided to help her once I complete my school. I want to arrange different stalls in the different corners of the city. In this way, every needy can easily get food and no one will be hungry in my city. I have also decided to open an NGO. Where I can also provide other basic things like cloth, free education for children, etc, and help everyone. Really it feels fantastic when we help someone.
All of us should spare some time in helping the society because there are people who are unable to buy everything. You can help in many ways, depending on your abilities. It gives an amazing satisfaction and believes me you will love it.
Essay 2 (400 Words) - Qualities of a Social Worker
Charity somewhere called “Daan” in Hindi that people do for the poor. It has a vast meaning, and it can be of any type. Charity does not only mean donating money. It can be any help as per your power and ability. There are some people who do charity throughout their life and are called social workers. They are people who live for the sake of society and the needy.
Some Unique Qualities of Social Workers
There are people who live for others and the whole nation as well the world is their family. They live for them and do each and everything for others. They like helping others and making others happy, they fight for others' rights and bring justice to them. Some qualities of these life-changing warriors are;
- They never hesitate of taking risk; they do everything for helping others and are always ready to take risks. Sometimes a group of people fights against a government or a big organization, but these warriors do everything and support people for justice. We can also call them brave.
- They are kind-hearted, it is their kind heart that melts them and encourages them to help others. They can feel the pain of the poor and they do everything they can.
- A social worker should be intelligent because sometimes people also fool them, so they should do charity but at the same time should have a sharp mind to analyze the truth and take further actions.
- They should really have good communication skills because it is not everyone who can share his problems. But these warriors know how to communicate and make others feel safe with them.
- Apart from the above qualities a social worker should also be loyal, should have good tolerating power, should have patience, etc.
It is our duty to help the needy but most of us skip. Develop a positive attitude and it will definitely help you. Charity is not only a word but also a kind of devotion. There are many NGOs in our country still we can see many poor children on the road. Now it's time and we have to become active and our single step can change the nation. The only thing we have to do is, take the needy to the required place for example if you see any old age person on the road you can take them to the old age home. If you find any kind of domestic violence in your neighboring, you can complain. This is also a kind of social work.
Essay 3 (500 - 600 Words) - How can I Become a Social Worker?
If you are able to help someone in any way, then believe me you are blessed. Not everyone has the courage to help or give something. Either you offer water to the strangers in the hot summer, or you feed the poor. All are different types of social work. Apart from this if you raise your voice against any social issues or a group of people and help them. Then this is also a kind of social work. I can define social work as a kind of work where you get satisfaction and blessings in return.
Different Types of Social Workers
Depending on their personal interest people do various types of social work, I have differentiated them into various groups;
- Working for a certain Community or Organization : They work for a community or organization; they advocate them or raise their voice against any kind of issue in these communities. Sometimes they also have to fight against the government and a social worker supports them for justice.
- Social Help for Old Age : There are some organizations as well as people who ensure that there is no old person sleeping on the road due to lack of shelter. Sometimes people throw their parents away from their home, although it is an inhuman act, still every year many old aged people are found on the road. This type of social worker enforces their powers for their development.
- Social Workers for Children : Children are not safe everywhere, there are some people who perform some inhuman act and do not allow children to get their basic rights. These kinds of social workers ensure the safety of children and whenever they feel or see something fishy, they take action or inform the police.
- Women and Physically Disabled : Whenever someone is in trouble, there are many NGOs and people, always ready to help them. But very few of us know about it. These social workers have an eye and whenever they feel anything uncommon, they provide help. Similarly, there are people and organizations that work for women as well as physically disabled people.
How to be a Social Worker
The very first thing required to be a social worker is the inner determination and will power to do anything for others. Once you make sure about helping others you can follow the below steps;
- One should complete his graduation from Social Work or Sociology as a subject.
- Can also have a master’s degree for more knowledge.
- There are many certificate courses available for this and one should also apply for a license for running an NGO or being a certified social worker.
- Apart from these educational backgrounds, one should also have some qualities like one should be sensitive, kind, helping nature, polite in behaviour, loyal, etc.
- Suppose you don’t have any degree and want to do something for your society, you can simply help others the way you like. If you have enough money you can donate, if you have the power you can benefit others, if you have physical strength you can help the poor in different ways. Depending on your ability you can also be a social worker.
Sometimes people badly need help and when someone helps them, they just feel as if God has sent someone for their help. Their happiness cannot be expressed in words. Really it is a great job and if you are able please help others. In Indian mythologies, it has been mentioned that God has made both rich as well as poor. And if someone is rich; he should take care of the poor and in this way a society develops. If you develop alone your country or city will not be called developed. Until and unless each and every person meets his basic needs.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Ans . Social work was started as a profession for the first time in the 19th century.
Ans . A social worker is a person who helps in solving different issues of people.
Ans . Yes, it is a good carrier choice as there are several opportunities in this field.
Ans . Thounaojam Iboyaima is regarded as the father of social work.
Ans . Social Work Education begins in India in 1936 after the establishment of Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work in Mumbai.
Essay on Why I should Become a ...
Essay on why i want to become ....
Ankita has completed her master's degree from Banaras Hindu University (BHU). She is interested in blogs and articles writing very creatively and elaborating her ideas and views on different topics for her readers. She is a nature lover along with the spirit to save the environment from destruction. She loves traveling and explores her creative ideas in her writings.
Current essay topics 2022, essay on gardening, essay on my best friend, project on swachh bharat abhiyan for students, essay on the postman.
- Our Services
- --> Resumes & CV -->